Swimming Pool FAQs – Unique Pools and Designs
Have questions about building, maintaining or just owning a pool? We’ve assembled some questions below to help you know what to expect
13 Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I select the right pool builder?
- Will a pool increase the value of my home?
- What about warranties? Is my investment well-protected?
- I’ve heard that having a swimming pool can be a lot of work. How much work is involved in owning and caring for a swimming pool?
- I sometimes see advertisements promising pools at very low prices. Should I consider this option?
- Why do cost estimates vary so much when the pools seem to be the same?
- What factors affect the cost of my swimming pool?
- Is financing readily available for this type of project?
- Should I consider building my own pool as a homeowner?
- How should I decide on the design of my pool?
- I have a small and difficult yard to work with. Can I still have a pool?
- Are there any additional options available to add to my pool?
- Do pools contribute to the drought?
1. How do I select the right pool builder?
Make sure to interview your prospective builder very carefully. Here are a few things to consider.
- What is the company’s reputation in the community?
- Do you know a friend or neighbor who has used the same company with good results? If not, can the company provide you with reliable references or customer report cards?
- How does the company treat you as a potential customer?
- How long has the company been in business, and how long have they been building in your area?
- How many pools have they built?
- Will the company provide you with a clear written estimate so that you’re not confused about what work will be done?
- Will they finish the project on time?
- Is the company in good standing with your local Building Department, the State Department of Consumer Affairs and/or Contractor’s Board?
- Will the company add hidden charges after the construction process has begun?
- Is the company financially stable so that there is no risk that you’ll be left with an unfinished pool?
- Will the company be careful to remove or take care of landscaping and other outdoor structures?
- Will they keep your property clean and safe throughout the construction process?
Unique Pools and Design offers unparalleled customer service. From helping you understand all of the design options, to clearly communicating what you can expect during the construction process, we make sure that you are well informed during each phase of the project. In fact, 95% of all our projects are finished on time and within budget!
2. Will a pool increase the value of my home?
Yes. Most studies show that a pool will increase the value of your home anywhere between 7% and 15%, depending on where your house is located. It will also continue to increase in value throughout the years, just like your home.
3. What about warranties? Is my investment well-protected?
Warranties are very important. At Unique Pools and Designs, we provide you with the strongest guarantee in the swimming pool industry. We are confident in the product we build and we offer a warranty that backs it up. You should always ask for and compare the warranties when requesting estimates from builders.
We build our pools to last, and we’ll always been here to stand by our swimming pools in the future. Anyone can offer a “lifetime warranty,” but if they aren’t in business for the duration of your pool’s life, then you haven’t got much of a warranty.
4. I’ve heard that having a swimming pool can be a lot of work. How much work is involved in owning and caring for a swimming pool?
In the past, pool maintenance was more of a chore. But with today’s technology and conveniences, owning a swimming pool is easier than owning a car! Pool chemical testing and maintenance, cleaning, and preprogrammed filtration and heating can all be automated. Automatic pool cleaners and various sanitizing devices also make your pool simple to maintain. Your only concern will be finding more time to enjoy your pool or spa! Be sure to ask your Unique Pools and Design representative about the latest technology.
5. I sometimes see advertisements promising pools at very low prices. Should I consider this option?
It is actually possible to build a pool at a low price. But you should make sure that the material and equipment used are comparable in quality. Besides ending up with a pool that doesn’t fit your property because of improper design, using poor quality construction materials can also put you and your family at risk. The old adage is still true: You get what you pay for.
Your Unique Pools and Design professional will work with you to determine a budget that meets your needs. We can custom design your pool to fit your financial parameters, and we’ll also help you secure the appropriate financing. The end result is a beautiful and dependable custom pool that is affordable and within your budget.
6. Why do cost estimates vary so much when the pools seem to be the same?
The price of a pool is determined by much more than just the size and shape of that pool. Unfortunately, many contractors don’t include important factors that affect cost in the actual estimate they give you. This also means that you can get hit with hidden charges after construction has begun. Some important things to consider are:
- Quality of Materials
- Design Expertise
- Underground Strength and Durability
- Customer Service
- Time Required for Construction
Unique Pools and Designs’ estimates always include the highest quality materials available, superior craftsmanship, expert design, and unparalleled customer service. You also get the knowledge and expertise of more than 16 years of custom pool building experience. And we never submit a low introductory bid with the intent of making expensive changes later. However at times customers like to add on or make changes to their pool and we are more than happy to accommodate them with a change of order and we discuss the change in pricing before any changes are made.
7. What factors affect the cost of my swimming pool?
Surprisingly, construction costs for the pool structure itself do not vary greatly from pool to pool. Prices can be affected slightly by ease of access onto your property, demolition requirements prior to construction, and local permit costs. The size and design of the pool affect the cost too, but not as much as you might think.
Much of the variation in price is based on what is called “hardscape.” Hardscape is what is placed around your pool to enhance its design. The size and materials used in your deck, patios, waterfalls, gazebos, planter walls, and other features can be simple or sensational. As the customer, you have the greatest influence on your total budget as you control the design of your pool’s hardscape.
8. Is financing readily available for this type of project?
Yes. And it’s probably easier than you think. Tens of thousands of Floridans have discovered they can give their families a beautiful new pool by merely taking the equity in their home and converting it to cash. It’s easy, inexpensive, and very tax wise!
9. Should I consider building my own pool as a homeowner?
Never! And you can bet that equipment suppliers and other contractors will charge you more than the actual value of the materials and work. Even the experts encounter incredible challenges during pool construction. Years of experience, knowledge, and specific training lead to wise and innovative solutions that produce our superior quality finished products. At Unique Pools and Design, we can offer you great buying power, efficient construction, and we also coordinate all of the work so that you experience no hassles and no headaches. Plus, everything is guaranteed.
10. How should I decide on the design of my pool?
Each property has unique features that should be considered when your pool is being designed. So does your family! Unique Pools and Design representative will meet with you at your home to discuss your pool needs and desires. He or she will ask you how you intend to use your pool. Is exercise important? How about family use? What about location? Where will the pool look best when viewed from your home? Our design expert may take sketches of your yard. Then they’ll prepare a custom design at no charge…..a design that fits your needs AND your budget!
11. I have a small and difficult yard to work with. Can I still have a pool?
Expert builders can construct quality pools in yards of all shapes and sizes. Our expert design and engineering team can work with the most challenging properties. You’ll be surprised by our innovative solutions that can turn your dreams into a beautiful backyard resort. Before you give up on your impossibly small yard or hillside location, call us for design advice. It’s free!
12. Are there any additional options available to add to my pool?
Technology is changing at an unprecedented rate, and swimming pools are no exception. Innovative water treatment options, fiber-optic lighting, spa products, remote controls, automatic cleaning systems, and many other options are now available to make your pool easier to maintain and more enjoyable than ever. Tell us what you would like, and we can show you how to do it.
13. Do pools contribute to the drought?
Water agency studies have proven that residential swimming pools require considerably less water to maintain than the landscaping they replace. And water in your swimming pool stays right there whenever needed in an emergency.